How Can Programmers Avoid Career Stagnation? — Mentor Monkey
For a programmer, it is tough to avoid or clear career stagnation because, in the internet world, it is very easy to leave a job because of minor issues but at the same challenging task to get a new job.
Do you feel lethargic at work? Or boredom at work? Are you not able to fit in the work environment? How many times did you get raise in your salary annually? How many hours did you work? Is your workload high? Is your position in the company matters to you or your colleagues? Do you feel anxious about existing skills? Is there any up-gradation in your skillset with new job opportunities? If you feel facing any of the mentioned issues or problems, you feel stagnation in your respective career.
As everything is working through the internet and the programmer field faced a huge increase in job opportunities and career foundations which automatically raised the competition in the job market. The programmer field itself came up with new skills and techniques evolving every passing day. It is another reason not to get new job titles with existing skills.
Now the question arises of what to do when you are in career stagnation, especially if you are a programmer. Answers are as following.
- An employee needs to create a healthy bond with their boss and teammates because, in the programmer field, no matter at what position you are in, cooperation and fundamental understating is the key.
- To build up a healthy bond, you need to adopt some soft skills, including good communication, good listening, a positive attitude, and etiquette in your go-to-go nature. It is very important to keep few things in your mind while you are in a meeting or before it.
- It is essential to clear your thoughts before any group discussion or meet with clients in a career like programming. Do a meaningful complete preparation which includes ‘what is the purpose of this meeting,’ ‘what is needed to be considered in a specific project,’ and ‘what client necessity.’ Try to make a table or column on a white or blackboard where all these points were written, and do leave an extra column for each solution. It also shows how organized your thoughts and work are. It can lead to dealing with new projects which increase your strength and value in front of everybody.
- Try to take responsibility for work that shows your interest, enthusiasm, and seriousness towards your job.
- Try to have a conversation regarding the issue you face because leaving a job without any effort is a horrible step.
- Try to involve in every minor-significant activity, which helps to reduce negative energy within you. As mentioned above, technology is growing at an alarming rate. It is very important to upgrade yourself with new skills and expertise. There is no doubt in saying that programming is dependent upon technology and techniques. To be in the job market, it is very important to remove technology stagnation and push yourself for new abilities.
It is essential to set your parameters for work, so try to check marketability and potential for the next moves. Try to participate or volunteer in tech events; networking within and outside the company would be a good start. Try to take small steps to remove stagnation, and it also helps to build new connections. A new connection can lead you towards better options. And to try new techniques, you can also go for remote work or freelance. It will give you a productive experience.