A Complete Guide to Securing Jobs and a Career in Artificial Intelligence Technology
Artificial Intelligence, commonly known as AI, is not a foreign concept seen in films like the terminator, enthiran, blade runner, etc., but a reality we all live and breathe in.
From robot cafes to facial recognition to Siri and Alexa, these are all a part of the AI world, and millions of people are making a career in Artificial Intelligence technology.
In this blog, I shall take you on a tour so that you can find your calling in the AI world and understand it on a deeper level.
What is Artificial Intelligence?
AI is a simulation of Intelligence by machines to make them perform tasks based on human Intelligence like learning, planning, reasoning, problem-solving, decision making, etc.
AI forms its basis on mechanisms like machine learning which constantly improves every time it does a specific task.
As of 2022, we all significantly depend on AI. You may ask how?
These are some tools we use in everyday life that heavily employ AI-
- Google Search Engine
- Taxi services like uber and ola
- Intelligent assistants like Siri and Alexa
- Blockchains like Bitcoin and Ethereum
Our dependence on AI also branches from the fact that machines are more efficient in specific tasks like those which are detail-oriented, repetitive, and require heavy analysis.
|Did you know?
The creation of Google’s deep neural network, which revolutionized the state of computer vision, was inspired by Leonardo Dicaprio’s famous quote “we need to go deeper” in the Christopher Nolan film “inception” – which ended up being the name of the network.
Categories of AI-
AI can be categorized by how it can mimic human behavior in real-world situations and how it finds the best-suited strategy for each task.
1. Artificial Narrow Intelligence (ANI)
Commonly known as narrow AI or weak AI,
ANI is what an ordinary person like us can access
Features of ANI
- Programmed to perform a singular task
- This AI does not replicate human Intelligence
- Reactive or Limited memory
- Most narrow AI forms its basis on a reactive or limited memory framework.
- Limited memory equips the AI to store data and enhance its learning from historical data to make more informed decisions.
Image or facial recognition software
- Reactive or no memory is basic and has no data storage facilities.Example-
- IBM’s chess program Deep blue, which in the 1990s beat Garry Kasparov.
Deep blue is very efficient at making predictions and identifying pieces on the chess boards, but due to its inefficiency in storing data, it can not use past experiences.
2. Artificial General Intelligence (AGI)
Remember the humanoid robot Sophia that took over the internet in 2016 or Chitti, the Indian science fiction humanoid.
These are examples of Artificial General Intelligence, Commonly known as strong or deep.
Features of AGI
- Can replicate human cognitive abilities
- Capable of performing multiple tasks and applying knowledge from several domains to complete a task.
- Fuzzy logic
- Based on the Theory of Mind framework
- This framework allows machines to have social Intelligence and understand human behavior.
- Requires heavy testing and, in theory, should be able to pass the Turing test and the Chinese room test.
If you are interested in the tests mentioned above, let me give you a glimpse inside the Turing test, remember when in Blade Runner 2049, officer K was asked a set of questions in a set time frame. Similar to that, in the Turing test, there are three terminals on each, sits a human questioner and two respondents, one a human and one a machine. The questioner does not know who is answering, and after the test, they are asked whether the respondent was a machine or human.
If you wish to know more about the Turing test without reading tons of research, you can watch Ex-Machina, a film based on this test.
3. Artificial superintelligence (ASI)
ASI is a hypothetical concept yet to be conceived and made public. This AI will not just be capable of replicating human Intelligence but will have the ability of self-awareness that could surpass human Intelligence.
Features of ASI
- Superior abilities than human beings
- Capable of having own ideas like self-preservation
- Based on the self-awareness framework
- Hypothetical example- Agent Smith in the Matrix
Jobs and Career in Artificial Intelligence
According to LinkedIn, Artificial Intelligence is among the top 10 skills of 2022.
Even LinkedIn is heavily dependent on AI. From scrutinizing job applications to the personalization tool, even recruitment is a task that Artificial Intelligence can be entrusted with.
With this increase in demand, let me help you identify career options you can explore.
1. Data analytics
- Task – finding meaningful patterns in data to make better future predictions by analyzing the past.
- Salary (IN) – ₹ 1.8 Lakhs – ₹ 11.8 Lakhs, average annual wage ₹ 4.3 Lakhs.
2. User experience, UI UX Designing
- Task – working closely with products to help the customers understand its functions and utilize them in the best way possible.
- They also interpret how people use equipment and how computer scientists can apply that understanding to produce more advanced software.
- Salary (IN) – ₹2.1 Lakhs per year (₹17.5k per month).
3. Natural language processing (NLP)
- Virtual Assistants
- Salary (IN) – 8.5 Lakhs per year (₹70.8k per month)
- Task – Research on computer science and AI and,
- Finding solutions and discovering ideas to enhance AI
- Salary (IN)- ₹ 3.3 Lakhs to ₹ 37.0 Lakhs with an average annual wage of ₹ 18.0 Lakhs.
5. Research scientist
- This personnel holds expertise in machine learning, applied mathematics, deep learning, and computational stats.
- Qualifications – advanced degree in computer science or an advanced degree in a related field supported by experience.
- Salary (IN) – 7.1 Lakhs per year (₹59.2k per month).
6. Software Engineer
- Task – Developing programs on which AI tools function
- Salary (IN)- ₹ 3.0 Lakhs to ₹ 14.2 Lakhs with an average annual wage of ₹ 5.5 Lakhs.
7. AI Engineer
- Task – Building AI models from scratch and helping product managers and stakeholders understand results.
- Average salary- ₹ 3.3 Lakhs to ₹ 24.2 Lakhs with an annual average wage of ₹ 8.4 Lakhs.
8. Data Mining and analyses
- A data miner or analyst predicts outcomes by Finding patterns and anomalies within large data sets.
- Salary (IN)- ₹10,520 per month (glassdoor)
9. Data scientist
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data.
- Salary (IN) – ₹ 4.5 Lakhs to ₹ 25.0 Lakhs with an average annual wage of ₹ 11.0 Lakhs
10. Business Intelligence (BI) Developer
- Task – Analyzing complex data sets to identify business and market trends.
- Salary (IN)- ₹ 3.7 Lakhs to ₹ 11.0 Lakhs with an average annual wage of ₹ 5.9 Lakhs.
11. Architect/ Big data engineer
- Task – Developing systems that allow businesses to communicate and collate data.
- Salary (IN) – ₹ 14.0 Lakhs to ₹ 45.5 Lakhs with an average annual wage of ₹ 24.8 Lakhs.
|If you are committed to getting a job in AI, I would highly recommend gathering experience in Python, c++, MATLAB, and other programming languages.
With this, sharpen your calculus and algebra skills and fill the criterion for both technical (hard skills) and interpersonal (soft skills) competencies.
With the advent of every industry employing AI techniques due to its efficiency, here are some sectors that are on a look out for AI professionals
Let’s get the tech industry out of the way first, as it is the most invested in ai and recruits heavily.
Examples of such companies are –
- Tata Elxsi
- Kellton Tech
- Happiest Minds
- Zensar Technologies
- Persistent Systems
- Oracle Financial
Other industries that are highly interested and invested in AI
- Faster diagnosis
- Cost reduction
- Mining data
- Virtual Health assistants (chatbots)
- Used in customer relationship management (CRM)
Uses chatbots for immediate customer service
- AI in education can automate grading, study student behavior, and analyze strategies best suited for a particular group of learners.
- Example- IBM Watson
- Even used to regulate trade on Wall Street.
- Yes, I know you are thinking of flying cars. If not that, then obviously self-driving vehicles, AI is not just a part of that. It also helps manage traffic, predicts flight delays, and helps transportation be trouble-free and convenient.
- AI in law is used to sift through documents and predictions.
- It helps save time and enhance customer service.
- It is a leading industry to incorporate robots and cobots (more miniature, multitasking robots that do tasks in warehouses, factory floors, etc. in collaboration with humans)
- In banking, AI is used to decide on loans and credit cards while at the same time analyzing investment opportunities.
- Chatbots are another feature banks use for making customers aware of services and communicating information that does not require human interception.
- Machine learning in security and event management (SIEM) has made detecting anomalies and identifying threats easier. Through this, AI can send alerts.
- AI also plays a massive role in identifying and preventing cyber crimes.
- AI is a simulation of Intelligence by machines similar to humans.
- Three types of AI – (ANI, AGI, ASI)
- Securing jobs and careers in AI
Now that you are well aware of the workings of Artificial Intelligence,
It is your turn to explore this field and secure your dream AI job.
Let us know what your belief says? Do you think with the advent of AI, the world will become a better place to live, or are we heading towards a machine apocalypse?