Ahead of President, Ram Nath Kovind’s visit to the Aligarh Muslim University for its convocation on March 7, university students have urged him to prevail upon the NDA government for granting “minority status” to the institute.
In a memorandum submitted to the President, through the university’s VC, Faizul Hasan on behalf of the students has said that President Ram Nath Kovind should consider the sentiments of the students’ community and help the university get the status of a minority institute.
Memorandum of Demands
Shri Ram Nath Kovind Jee
Republic of India
At the outset, we the students of Aligarh Muslim University would like to extend our heartiest gratitude to your good self for accepting the invitation of our Vice-Chancellor and gracing the occasion of 65th Annual Convocation of Aligarh Muslim University as its Chief Guest.
We the students of this esteemed seat of learning are sure that the august presence of your Excellency will be a landmark in the glorious history of this prestigious institution.
At the same time, we would take the liberty to put for the following demands for the perusal of your esteemed Excellency.
- Funds regarding the AMU Centres at Murshidabad, Kishanganj and Mallapuram:- It is a matter of grave concern for the entire Alig Fraternity that the three centres of AMU at Mallapuram (Kerala), Murshidabad (West Bengal) and Kishan Ganj (Bihar) which were established with the aim of empowering minorities through higher education are currently facing huge financial crisis due to non-allocation of the sanctioned budget for these centres.
It is on record that the Union government sanctioned a loudgetary allocation of Rs.349.5 Crores for the aforementioned study centers of AMU but till now only Rs. 130 Crores have been released because of which these centers are facing the paucity of Funds which is hampering their routine functioning.
Hence, you are requested to direct the Ministry of Human Resource Development to release the remaining budget for these centers at the earliest.
- Regarding the Minority Statues of AMU:- The issue of Minority Status of Aligarh Muslim University is a matter of life and death for the entire Muslim Community as it is the very essence of the Aligarh Muslim University.
The Alig Fraternity suffered a setback when the present NDA Government withdraw the affidavit filed by erstwhile UPA Government in Supreme Court of India supporting the Minority Status of AMU.
We are hopeful that you will consider and understand the sentiments of the entire Muslim Community and will take up this matter with Union Government and will use your good office to convince the government to support the Minority Status of AMU in Supreme Court.
- Up gradation of J.N. Medical College:- The Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College of Aligarh Muslim University caters to the needs of thousands of patients from Western Uttar Pradesh but due to scarcity of funds it has because almost impossible to bear the ever-increasing footfall of the patients, hence it is humbly requested that budgetary allocation of JN Medical College & Hospital of AMU should at par with Safdar Jung Hospital, New Delhi and it should be upgraded to the status of AIIMS.
- Prevailing conditions in the Country:- It has been observed that during the last four years there had been a considerable increase in organized violence in form of Mob lynching also there has been a spurge in violence against Dalits, Minorities and other Marginalized sections of the society because of which there is a prevalent fear among the Dalits and minorities.
We take this opportunity to request your good self to direct the government to take effective preventive measures to stop these type atrocities and violence against Dalits & Minorities.
- To stop the Holocaust in Syria:- The entire mankind is devastated by the holocaust of innocent civilians at the hands of tyrannical forces of Bashar Al-Assad.
The recent bombing on Eastern Ghouta in Syria by the forces supporting Bashar Al-Assad has left hundreds of innocent civilians including children dead and thousands of them homeless.
We earnestly request you to direct the Minority of External Affairs to summon the Syrian envoy in India and convey him the concern of Indians that this bloodshed will not be tolerated anymore.
We also request you to provide the humanitarian aid to the affected people through the Indian Embassy in Syria.
We are hopeful that your Excellency will consider our plea and will take appropriate action at the earliest.
Thanking you in anticipation
On behalf AMU Students
AMU Students’ Union
Summary of Memorandum-
“The issue of minority status of Aligarh Muslim University is a matter of life and death for the entire Muslim community as it is the very essence of the institute,” the memorandum read.
The students have also demanded that the President should instruct the union government to take effective steps to prevent atrocities and violence against Dalits and Muslims. “It has been observed that during the last four years there had been a considerable increase in organised violence in form of mob lynching and surge in violence against Dalits, minorities and other marginalised sections of the society because of which there is a prevalent fear among the Dalit and minorities,” the memorandum said.
They also demanded the release of funds for the AMU centers at Murshidabad, Kishanganj, and Mallapuram which are currently facing a huge financial crisis due to non-allocation of the total sanctioned budget of Rs 349.5 crore for these centers. Till now, only Rs 130 crore has been released.
On behalf of Alig community, former president of the students union, Faizul Hassan requested the president to provide humanitarian aid to the affected people in Syria through the Indian Embassy. He said, “We are hopeful that he will consider our plea and will take appropriate action at the earliest.”
Source: TOI & Faizul Hasan
Follow us on Twitter:
Join us on Facebook: